Saturday, October 29, 2016

Sewing Skills

I have several friends who toil and sweat and curse every Halloween to create costumes for their children. It's a labor of love and not one that I have embraced to this point.

Mind you, I came into the marriage with a toolbox. Chadwick had the sewing kit.
This year, Mallorie wanted to be a spider for Halloween. I still haven't figured out why she picked this scary, little insect but thanks to Pinterest I found a costume that required minimal sewing skills and fit the bill.

One trip to Walmart and 6 black tube socks, one black shirt, some glitter fabric paint and many plastic bags later, we had the cutest spider I've ever seen. As a friend remarked, not a spider I would want to smash with my shoe.

I had her help stuff the socks with the plastic bags and as I was preparing to sew the socks onto the back of the shirt, Mallorie shot me a dubious glance and asked, "Mom? Can you even sew? Maybe we should have Dad do it. Or call Grandma." Thanks for the vote of confidence! I stuck my nose in the air and informed her that I was perfectly capable of attaching socks to a shirt. She went back to her Tinkerbell movie and I pondered the best way to accomplish my goal without calling for help.

Turns out I have no idea to to sew. I do, however, know how to suture. And with that skill set at my disposal, I grabbed Chadwick's needle drivers from the surgical kit and went to work. Fifteen minutes later the socks were successfully sutured to the shirt with a simple interrupted knot pattern.

I'm happy to report that the socks stayed attached to the shirt through a ward Halloween party, a spin through the washing machine and dryer, and one dance recital at Linder Farms.

Isn't this how every veterinarian gets such a sewing project done??

No comments: