- firmly established, steadfast
- reliable, trustworthy
- marked by, or given to feelings of confident surety
- admitting of no doubt, indisputable
- bound to happen, inevitable
Dictionary.com says it's also an adverb:
- as an informal use, certainly
The whole thought process behind this ramble began with a question, via text, to a friend. "Do you want to go to the baby shower with me tomorrow evening?" She replied, "Sure..."
Now, I have to mention that I really dislike the use of that word as a response. I feel like it is a luke-warm answer, something I use when I don't really want to do something but will go with the plan anyway. A word, that when I hear or see it as an answer to an inquiry, feel like not doing the thing I just asked about because I get the impression the other person would rather not.
I called her out on her apparent lack of enthusiasm, along with a smiley face so she would know I was teasing, and offered to change plans if she wasn't wanting to attend. Turns out, she feels the same about this word "sure," and explained that she normally never, never uses it! (It was one of those fluke moments when she had too many things going and needed a quick reply. She laughed when I called her on it.)
Chadwick feels the same way about the use of the word sure as a positive, yes response. His family used it all the time in place of "yes" and it drives him a little crazy. My friend's in-laws are the same way. Which got me thinking....how many people use the word as a positive, enthusiastic yes? How many use it when they are really feeling meh about the situation?
I sent an email to ten girlfriends/family to see what they thought....most of them use the word as a positive, yes. In fact, 6 out of 10 use it that way.
Huh. Guess I need to re-think how I interpret such a response from someone other than my husband and good friend who got this whole tirade started.
Sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment