Chadwick loves to backpack. I tease that his camping motto has something to do with the fact that if he can see another person, he hasn't gone quite far enough into the wilderness. He's been itchy to take Morgan out for a one-nighter. And I've been holding him back as I thought her still too young.
Then my friend Cyndi and her husband took their four children - ages 10 to 4 - backpacking for a night and that was the nudge I needed to send my two packing. Literally.
The Friday at the end of the first week of school, Chadwick picked Morgan up after the last bell and headed up to Jennie Lake. Turns out, they didn't make it to the lake on the first night, but they camped along the trail and hiked in the rest of the way Saturday morning. The day was spent fishing and hiking and then back out to the car later in the afternoon.
Morgan came home dirty. The kind of dirty spent out in nature. The kind that creates happy memories and the desire to do it again. The kind that leaves black smudges around the ankle bones for at least 2 showers before it finally gives in to the soap bubbles.
I lost count of the number of times Morgan said, "And guess what??" The fact that the hike to and from the lake was roughly 10 miles with elevation didn't dampen her enthusiasm one bit. In fact, when she couldn't sleep Saturday night she said that maybe she just needed to do some more hiking. She picked wildflowers, reeled in a fish caught by her dad (they caught and released a total of 4 nice trout), slept in a tent with a clear view of the stars, and she can't wait to do it again.
Darwin went as well, though I think he might have had mixed feelings about the adventure. For one, he was packing his own food and blanket. Secondly, he slept outside the tent which made him nervous and cold by morning. He didn't move much off his bed once he returned home, tired dog.
The whole adventure was a success and I can't wait to join on the next hike. Mallorie was bummed that she wasn't able to go, but we had pancakes and eggs for dinner Friday night and went to the park before bed so she was placated. The curtains were left open to allow for a bit more light into her bedroom and she fell asleep without a fuss (which was a relief as she doesn't like to sleep alone in her room).
Guess it's time to start investing in backpacking gear...or raid my dad Mark's supply....
No comments:
Post a Comment