I was going to title this post "holiday madness" and decided something more positive was warranted. While the end of every year really is chaos and busy, there's such a sweet spirit of giving and anticipation that permeates the atmosphere. With Steve and Nancy on their mission and other in-town family members with their in-laws, Thanksgiving was a quiet, food-filled, game-playing affair with Stephen, Tara, and their three children at our house. I love having them in town!
We created our "thankful tree" at the beginning of November; it's so fun to hear the things that my children are thankful for. I still get to make up things for which Spencer is grateful, though it's fairly obvious when you listen to or watch him and his food/toys/sisters.
December started cold and snow-less. During the winter of 2017, we were 5 inches deep by the second weekend and continued to freeze for the next month and a half. The weather this winter has been more normal, if a bit warm. I had a quick weekend getaway to visit Dessa and her family in Seattle. It was refreshing to spend time with someone who has known me so well for so long, to catch up, laugh, offer and receive life advice, and get to know her children a bit better. She's an amazing person and I am truly amazed to be considered one of her "home team" and know that I'm better for that friendship. She had to work on Friday so I spent the day with her husband, Victor, time that I greatly enjoyed. Their son, Santi, came down with a fever Friday night so the boys stayed home Saturday while Dessa and I packed up the car and their daughter, Elena, for a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island. As I had never been to Poulsbo, we drove north and had lunch at this adorable Bavarian restaurant - they had the most amazing soft pretzel!! The size of a dinner plate, it was enough for the two of us to split as an appetizer. After, we drove back to Bainbridge and walked around town a bit before catching the late afternoon ferry back to Seattle. We dropped Elena off with Victor and went back downtown for dinner. When choosing a restaurant, I had looked at several that were "family friendly" and near the water. My mom, however, pointed out that we could eat at a family restaurant anytime but as it was just going to be the two of us, an "adult" location should be the goal. Ha! Thus, Dessa made reservations at a fancy French place with amazing food, an experienced wait staff, and mature ambience.
Sunday was spent with the kids at the market, taking DalPorto-Dumas family photos with Dessa's parents and dogs, and traveling back to Boise. There was much talking and laughter and I can't wait to see her again sometime. Perhaps while camping....
The days got darker earlier and the kids wound up for Christmas. I didn't have to do too much last minute shopping and was proud of myself for not going crazy. Granted, I never ran the numbers so I don't know how it actually came out in the end. Who's counting?
School went down to the wire and Morgan ended the Friday before the big day. We spent Christmas Eve at home as a family. I actually branched out and tried a new dinner for the night - it felt weird as I have spent so many Eves eating our version of the Swedish smorgasbord. Split pea soup with potatoes and ham, salad, and home made bread rounded out the meal. Chad's sister-in-law Beth gave me her top secret bread recipe years ago. I didn't have all the ingredients but improvised and created an edible version of bread loaves! Can't wait to try it again with all the "right" stuff.
I was grateful the kids slept into their normal time Christmas morning (Donna's kids woke her at 3:30 am) and we opened stockings while waiting for the French toast to bake. Presents in the den in front of the fireplace was next on the agenda and didn't disappoint. Umbrellas from Santa, a tool set, car tracks, Squinkies, Hatchimals, Shopkins, more toy cars, Paw Patrol toddler undies (small underwear are so cute!), and each girl received a 2-gallon fish tank.
Story behind the tanks - the girls have been asking for their own pet for about forever. I don't particularly want anything resembling a rodent or reptile....I loved my fish tank growing up. Trouble was, I also wanted a tank for myself. Fast forward to the middle of January and we now own not one, not two, but three fish tanks. Is that like the equivalent of being a crazy cat person??
It was a big hit, especially since they got to choose their fish and some décor. Unfortunately, Mallorie's four cloud fish lived about a week before being sucked into the filter after dying. We got her a beta like Morgan and he's still with us. Spencer was asking for a shark....the big tank we purchased off Craigslist came with a red tail shark! He hugged the tank and said, "I love my Sharkie." He cracks me up.
Dinner Christmas night was with Stephen and James and their families at Stephen and Tara's house. We Skyped with Nancy and Steve, ate lots of good food, played some foosball, and enjoyed some laughs. I love this family into which I married!!
It was a lovely holiday.
No comments:
Post a Comment