Saturday, January 12, 2019

Thanksgiving

After our adventures to Arizona were complete, we spent a few days with my parents (who both returned to Albuquerque with massive head colds, courtesy of Spencer) and turned around to welcome Dessa and her two kiddos for a visit from Seattle. It was so fun to have our kids playing together...wish we lived closer so it could happen more frequently. She texted a picture of our children in my Pilot upon their arrival. He said it looked like a gathering of tiny terrorists.

We laughed, dove into serious how-are-you-actually-doing conversations as only old friends can accomplish, ate, and played. She wanted to visit the Birds of Prey and we took the kids one afternoon for an outing with the raptors. Spencer loved the bald eagle (which seems to be his favorite bird these days) and we met Bob, one of the many little falcons that live and teach at the Center. I also hired a babysitter for the 5 children one afternoon so Dessa and I could have an adult outing; we wound up at the Village for lunch, a walk, and stop at the cafe for a treat before heading home to the chaos. I am so grateful for that woman and her friendship. She makes my world a better place!

The kids were on track break by then so we went into break mode - staying up too late, sleeping in even later, and not living by any resemblance of a schedule. I crave this mode for a few days then find myself wishing to be out of it for my own mental sanity. Cleo tore up bits of paper sitting around, we were invited last-minute to a BSU football game with friends (and went to the most amazing tailgate beforehand - who brings tables, a generator for lights, and firepit for warmth to these things?? These are serious fans; they do it before every home game), and the kids played hard together.







Thanksgiving was spent at home with the Westbrooks. Chadwick built a leaf for the kitchen table I was super excited to put to use for the first time.
We enjoy this family and were so glad they could come for dinner, games, and outdoor time for the kiddos. Chadwick spent the entire morning (literally) putting together a tire swing for the willow tree out back so I was glad that the kids took the time to play on it despite the cooler temperatures. Their oldest daughter, Hannah, created the most amazing cheese board and the food was delicious. A perfect way to celebrate the day and the start of the holiday season.


Saturday found us meeting up with Stephen, Tara, and their crew in High Valley for the 2nd annual Christmas tree cutting. We hiked all over the place - in snow! - and chose a tree that Tara really wanted for their house. Unfortunately for them, their ceilings are too low and we took it home. Seriously, it is the most perfectly-shaped forest tree I've ever seen. Symmetrical with thicker branches to hold the heavier ornaments but not such a bush that we couldn't decorate at all. This tree received a lot of compliments over the course of the month and I was sad to see it go.



Lunch was at The Triangle and then home to start decorating. Historically, Black Friday has been my day to bust out the Christmas music and get started with the Christmas decor. In recent years, my enthusiasm has waned to the point that I feel sadness while pulling out the stuff. I haven't been able to pinpoint what started the transition and why. Perhaps this coming year I can start to unravel the mystery.

Our thankful tree made its annual appearance as well, though I neglected to take any pictures of it. My parents, Dessa and her kids and a few other friends were able to contribute to the leaves. It's been fun to watch the girls' evolve into more spiritual and "older" items of gratitude over the past few years. One of my favorite November traditions.

I also put my faith and the accuracy of the Pilot's gas gauge to the test....one of these days, I'm gonna end up stranded. Morgan had been sick off/on for a couple days and I wound up taking her to the pediatrician for a strep culture last minute. Her being sick had thrown off my schedule and I didn't get out to put gas in the car. By the time the appointment was made and a sitter arranged for the younger two, I didn't have time to fill up the tank before driving the 6.8 miles to the clinic. Our car as a feature that tells you how many miles remaining until Bingo. I'm pretty sure we started out on like 6 miles. Halfway there, on the freeway, the miles went to 0 and stayed put. I prayed and prayed and asked Morgan to pray that we could make it to the appointment. I didn't care if I had to hitchhike after, I just wanted to get there in time. We totally did!! She didn't have strep, and we made it another 1.5 miles to the gas station. I love that there is a built in amount of gas remaining for those of us who choose to push the limits. I'm also grateful for the chance to strengthen my testimony of prayer and hopefully do the same for my daughter. As in times past, I promised myself (again) this would be the last time.

No comments: