Sunday, April 13, 2008

Duck Feet in Western Washington

My last rotation of vet school is a 4-week preceptorship in the western side of the state. Basically, it's a 4-week block that each student is required to complete at a veterinary clinic outside of the veterinary teaching hospital in Pullman. Chadwick spent his time north of Seattle at a small animal clinic last September, and I am near Maple Valley at an all-horse clinic. I arrived - in the rain - last Monday and it continued to rain throughout the rest of the week. I realize that the western side of the state is quite a bit wetter than the eastern side, everyone knows that, but what I didn't realize was that 40 degrees in the rain is downright cold when one spends all day outside! After purchasing long underwear and some wool socks, my disposition improved greatly since I was no longer freezing all day, every day.

Northwest Equine is an all ambulatory practice, which means that the vets travel to the barn where the horse is kept rather than have the horse come to the clinic. Needless to say, we spend a large amount of time in the truck. The people here are wonderful and I've learned a ton in the 5 days I've spent with them. Each doctor is good about letting me participate in the treatment of patients, and I am staying at the office in a little room upstairs, which saves on rent.

Chadwick is finishing his rotations in Pullman - he is currently "enjoying" large animal overnights, which is one of the longest and worst rotations required. The shift itself is from 5pm-7am, though the students split the evenings into two little shifts. I think it has been relatively quiet for them, which is nice. His last rotation is vacation, and I have a feeling he will be busy packing our belongings for the move to Boise, ID.

1 comment:

The Bott Family said...

Did you just start the blog? Yippy!
Wow, you guys are almost done. That is too crazy. Good luck with the move and with your careers and keep in touch.