Monday, October 11, 2010

The Big 3-0

Each year for two weeks in October, my home town hosts the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. Thirty years ago last Saturday, my parents watched the hot air balloons drift over the city from their hospital room at St. John's where I was born.

Yes, I have officially left my 20s and moved into the 30s. Some of my friends were excited to leave their 20s, others hated the thought. I was indifferent to the new numbers of my age, but with the help of my wonderful husband and mother-in-law, I threw myself a party. Friends, pizza, cake and ice cream.....the works! We had a good time enjoying the company of one another.

My uncle was in Boise for a half marathon and was able to join us - it was fun to see him for a bit! I don't know how is race went, but he's an accomplished runner and likely had no trouble. He's met a goal of running a race in each state. Idaho down, Alaska and Hawaii left. Way to go, John!






The cake was one of my favorites, German chocolate. (FYI, my mom mailed a creme de menthe chocolate chip cake to our house Friday....it was to die for and a good, spoil Julie tradition) No, it did not have thirty candles, which is probably good since I couldn't blow them all out anyway! Depressing! The photo on the right is me face planting on the counter trying in vain to extinguish the last candle. I must be getting old. =)






And this picture is too cute not to share! Madeline, Alivia, and Morgan - they will be such good friends in a few years! Alivia and Morgan are 5 days apart (Morgan is younger) and Madeline is 2 weeks younger than the other two. Turns out it's hard to get all three babies to smile at the same time.
Overall, a good day. On to new adventures as a 30-year-old!

2 comments:

Tara H said...

Happy Birthday Julie! So glad you had yourself a party, so much fun!! Yah, turning 30 is over rated. I think when I hit 35 I may have some kind of crisis.

Hannalee said...

Happy Birthday!! I'm glad you had yummy cake and some fun times. :)