Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fun in the Snow

Yesterday we had the opportunity to go to the Hunt cabin north of Boise - Chadwick and two friends, Andy and Sara Marie, went up Friday night to get the fire going and I went up Saturday morning with Morgan. We were supposed to be accompanied by other friends, who had to cancel last moment. Rather than be cold at the cabin overnight, I opted to stay in Boise and watch a girlie movie with my cat and drink hot cocoa. =) The day started, for me, super foggy in Boise but cleared out as I neared the cabin. After lunch, the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day! We went cross country skiing and placed Morgan in a backpack she got from my parents for Christmas. And Darwin had a blast running all over the place. I can't imagine how many miles that dog put on during those several hours outside.

We also went tubing down the hill behind the cabin. It was a riot to watch Chadwick try and come down the hill with Darwin biting his jacket, nipping at his heels, and generally getting run over in the process. He loves that man!! One of Chadwick's co-workers was nice enough to let us borrow a kiddie sled for Morgan - she didn't mind the cold but was feeling like a marshmellow in her outfit, so she didn't move much.

Andy and Chadwick build a rather impressive igloo in the down time. Unfortunately, they ran out of daylight before it was completely done. I guess they were having architectural issues as the roof kept collapsing. The problem: the individual blocks were too thin. They were conducting an experiment to see if thinner blocks would work better (lighter), but turns out the thick ones were best. Good to know if we need to build a functioning igloo in the future!

In other activities, I made my first from-scratch bread last week. The recipe is from a baby book and the bread has apple juice, cottage cheese, regular cheese, and raisins to boost nutritional value so she's eating more than just carbs. The two of us enjoy it, but Chadwick isn't super impressed. I was just glad it turned out edible!

2 comments:

Steve and Nancy said...

I think the igloo looks great! Morgan looks like a snowy little cherib. So glad it turned out to be a beautiful day!

Hayley said...

Wow- that is a cute kid! and the igloo was impressive. Funny how a kid can slow down your adventurous ways isn't it? It was sure nice talking to you last week, lets do it more often! Hayley