Friday, January 14, 2011

She's Walking!

Chadwick and I had a bet that Morgan would be walking by Christmas...she missed that date by a few weeks but took her first steps on Wednesday!! She was pulling clothes out of her dresser drawers (which is her new favorite game) and decided to walk to the changing table. Off she went! She continues to walk longer and more places, though she still likes to grab my finger and lead me where she wants to go. Yesterday morning, when we were in the living room, she grabbed my finger and started marching to the bathroom where her daddy was getting ready for work. She was all excited she had found him, and his face lit up when she pushed through the door. Super cute!

The video is from this morning, day "three," of walking. She's getting the hang of it quickly! I'd better invest in a new pair of running shoes....she's gonna keep me busy!



Last night two friends and I attended and signed up for a 10 week parenting class, held at the Meridian Seminary Building. The woman who is teaching has been doing this class for 20 years, had 9 children of her own and adopted one. Her manual is the current and previous church magazine, the Ensign. And she's great! She assigns "homework" each week which is basically a challenge to apply one of the principles learned in class to our life at home. The take home messages for me last night: 1-Each of us needs to create an environment at home where teaching moments and learning can occur. 2-We need to parent more like a coach, not a referee. 3-Of the 9 tools mentioned in class on how to create a learning environment, I have chosen to work on building a positive foundation (being happy, phrase requests in the positive rather than negative, be excited when Chadwick comes home from work or when I pick Morgan up from Nancy's). The tools the class offers will not only help me as a parent, but as a wife and friend to my hubby as well, which is great!! I'll pass on tidbits as I get them each week....

4 comments:

Tara H said...

that's awesome! she's so grown up- sniff sniff. lol
Who is teaching your class? We took one in Meridian too one year . . . I can't remember the name though . . .
Sounds good, pass along the tips! I need daily reminders. : )

Jen said...

yay Morgan!!

Jessica from Daisydotdesign.blogspot.com said...

Sounds like an awesome calss. Please keep up the updates cause I'm loving them already! And how fun that Morgan is walking!! It does get so busy, but so fun at the same time!! Can't wait to see her walk myself, by that time she'll be cruising!!

Ryan and Holly said...

Oh, that class sounds super! Definitely keep us updated on the highlights.