The last couple of months have seen Chadwick and I on a roller coaster of family planning - a ride of surprise, dismay, and thinking. Here are a few "stats" to sum up the experience:
^ Two lines on the at-home pregnancy test said we were pregnant mid-August!
^ One nap per afternoon to try and beat the exhaustion of the first tri-mester
^ An ultrasound at week 7 showed an amniotic sac, yolk sac, but no embryo (baby)
^ One week of tense waiting to see if there was positive development by week 8
^ Several tears as I found out the pregnancy was not developing properly, and was termed a spontaneous abortion-1 (SAB)
^ Two more weeks of waiting, feeling slightly pregnant and "off," and scheduling a d&c
^ Week 10 of "pregnancy" and I had the mis-carriage all by myself, without assistance (and no heavy-duty drugs, might I add, which was a painful few hours)
There are so many stories of unwanted pregnancies and women having two children 11 months apart that I forget that embryology is truly a delicate process! If nothing else, this experience made me stop and think about how amazing it is that so many of us form correctly on the first try. There is so much that needs to come together at a specific time and so many opportunities for things to go awry!
We didn't tell tons of people about the pregnancy, which was a relief since it didn't work out the way we had planned. I have felt so blessed through this process by the friends and family who were aware of the situation and have reached out in love and support.
Just another adventure in our journey into parenthood!
Sunday, October 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love you so much Julie! Nancy
I'm so sorry Julie - I hope you are feeling better.....we'll be thinking of you and Chadwick.
Post a Comment