Monday, April 28, 2014

He Is Risen!

Easter hopped its way here...and left just as quickly!

We had a family home evening the week prior to Easter Sunday to talk about the true meaning of Easter (not hunting for eggs and the bunny, much to Morgan's surprise). It is difficult to define the Atonement to a four-year-old. Words like "Atonement" or "resurrection" get lost in the discussion. We tried. So did all of the primary teachers that morning at church. =) She'll get the hang of it and I have a goal to keep the bunny-ness to a minimum. Problem is, the non-denominational things are so fun and I already have traditions established from my childhood! For example, filling an Easter basket with a chocolate bunny and little goodies for the girls to find when they wake Easter morning. Eating good food. Decorating and hiding and hunting colored eggs. I found something online that described a scripture-related egg hunt which I am hoping I will work into the traditions as the years continue to pass.
Sweet Sisters!

Classic Mallorie Eyebrows...
James invited himself and the family over to our place for dinner this year. "Do you mind if I do that? I mean, you have the perfect yard for an egg hunt!" he exclaimed. He offered to bring the ham and deviled eggs and jello salad. Done! We had a houseful of 18 family members, 8 of which were under the age of 12. It was a blast! The weather was perfect and the only time we saw the children was for dinner and while the men hid eggs. The front yard was reserved for Mallorie and little Gideon while the back yard was devoured by running, laughing, and quickly moving older little people. I hope the egg hunt was everything James imagined....

Mallorie, Jordynn, Gideon, Amaya, Noel, Tara, Morgan, Gideon
I love that we can host Chadwick's extended family in our home without feeling claustrophobic. I love watching the children run willy-nilly in the open-ness of our yard. I love watching the dog bounding through the grass, chasing anything and nothing.

And I'm grateful for wonderful family who were able to join the festivities. Here's to creating more traditions next year!!

No comments: