When Morgan turned 2, we bought her a toddler bed that she adored from the moment she laid eyes on it. From no pillow to with a pillow, from no sheets to being snugly tucked into sheets nightly. And she kept growing. Like in the Berenstein Bear book about Brother Bear outgrowing his bed, we noted that Morgan, too, was starting to outgrow her big girl bed. Rather than wait for Mallorie's 2nd birthday, we promoted both girls to bigger girl beds last week.
We purchased a new twin mattress from the DI and placed it on the base my parents brought from Albuquerque at the beginning of April. I used this as a child....until I went to college. My dad made it! It served me well and will do the same for as long as Morgan is able to make use of it. There are drawers underneath for clothes or books which comes in handy as she continues to collect "stuff." (Notice that I use the word "continue" rather than "start" to collect things.)
This was how the base arrived from NM - along with furniture made by my great-grandfather. It was engineered by Mark to withstand any and all weather one would encounter along the road, and it was well-weather-proofed. Morgan's twin base for the bed is the silver piece on top, the dresser/bookshelf underneath. I think Mark had a good time creating the carrier.
Occasionally, I get the desire to try and be creative with cloth. And it doesn't normally go farther than a desire or the fleeting wishful thought. However, last June I really wanted to make a bedspread for Morgan's little toddler bed. She had a blanket that worked well, but I had this image in my mind of a cute girls' room and what I saw didn't match. Plus, the bedding combinations were rather expensive. After choosing material, spending a ridiculous amount of mental power determining how much material to purchase, and more money than if I had purchase a completed blanket plus sheets, I came home with motivation and cute material. With no functional sewing machine in the walls of my home, the motivation quickly faded. I cut the material with the help of my neighbor, Amy, and got about half of it sewed with Nancy's assistance. And that is as far as it got. Twelve months later, the unfinished piece sits in Nancy's house, collecting dust and taking up space. Huh.
I didn't have any blankets to cover the twin bed, and while perusing the aisles of Target several weeks ago, stumbled upon coordinating toddler and twin covers - SOLD! The toddler bedding came with sheets (which I didn't have) and the pink/green owl decor was too cute to resist. We now have a coordinating, adorable start to little girl room decor. Even better? Morgan and Mallorie were excited with the choice and the set matched the already pink set of curtains that cover the window.
I suppose it's kind of a silly thing to want coordinating bedspreads for a young children's room, but it makes me really happy.
If Morgan had free access to tape, her walls would be covered in pictures and drawings she has created. Maybe it's time for a magnetic board to cover the wall so she can hang her artwork where she pleases. The one in the kitchen just isn't big enough. =)
Mallorie has adjusted to the lack of crib without fuss. For the first week, she waited until I went into the room to get her out of bed when she awoke even though she's completely capable of getting out herself. I wasn't about to teach her otherwise, but she figured it out and happily pounced into our bedroom this morning at 6:15...she is totally Chad's child in that she doesn't require much sleep! This afternoon I forgot to leave the door slightly open at naptime and I heard her knocking from the inside to be let out.
And time keeps marching on....
Thursday, June 19, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Those are darling!!!! I love the bedspreads, you are amazing. The girls are darling too!
Post a Comment