The beginning of May found Morgan, Mallorie and I boarding a plane bound for Albuquerque to surprise my mom for her 60th birthday. It was a trip at least 4 weeks in the making, and I can't tell you how many time I almost blurted out crucial information to Mom. She's the one I usually coordinate with for flights, pick up, food, and whatnot. Mark was my go-to man, and there were multiple little white lies told to cover for my true whereabouts. Morgan didn't even know until the day before we left, as she can't keep a secret to save her life. Bags and carseats in hand, we boarded the plane for the first adventure of the summer. I'm lucky that my girls are good travelers, but flying on the plane stresses me out. When we arrived Tuesday afternoon, Dad picked us up from the airport. Mom was actually in DC for a work trip and didn't arrive home until late Wednesday night. She walked in the door around 10:45 after two hard days touring and with jet lag. I was sitting in the den where she couldn't see me right away. In response to a question about all the stuff covering the kitchen table, I replied that it was part of her birthday present. Silence. Slowly, Mom walked into the doorway. The look on her face said, "I know you. But why are you in my house?" All she could say for minutes was, "Oh my gosh!" And she didn't believe that the girls were with me. After the initial shock wore off, I think she was glad to see us. =)
 |
| On the plane |
 |
| Gotta love this face! |
 |
| Bop-bop and the M's |
 |
| Smiles with Nana |
 |
| Truck-bed playground at Abuleo's house |
Mark and I had been planning a birthday party, and though Mom wanted details, we told her enough to be annoying but not so informational. We located, printed, and set out about 50 pictures around the house - all with Mom in them - from birth to the current day. The result was overwhelming but we had a ball with the project. And rather than traditional birthday decor, Hello Kitty hung on the walls, over the tables, and smiled at us from plates and napkins. Mom loves this particular character, and when else will she have the opportunity for a Hello Kitty birthday? Yep, at 60. Thirty friends and family arrived for the event and we had a wonderful time talking, looking at pictures, eating, and laughing.
 |
| Black and white photos hung in the entryway |
 |
| Now that's a party dress! |
Despite list making, engaging the help of a friend or two, and double checking what we thought was everything....Mark and I forgot the candles. On this big day!! Luckily, Mom had some sitting around the house.
The flight home was uneventful. I returned home on Monday. I unpacked, did laundry, and packed my bags - this time for a solo trip to meet Mom in the Big Apple for a little getaway.....and let the craziness of the next few months begin!
2 comments:
I just read your last four blog entries and loved them all! I feel bad about Morgan's bedspread never getting finished, but the new bedspread are wonderful. I started a bedspread for Emily when she was a little girl and sadly, never did finish it either. Little girls grow up so fast! Keep enjoying this time with your girlies.
What a great surprise! I LOVE hello kitty too...wonder when I'll get my party!
Post a Comment