Friday, May 6, 2016

Our Family Mission....

Several year ago, I joined several women in my ward to do kind of a parenting type book club - each month we read one chapter in "7 Habits of Highly Effective Families" along with a novel that somehow tied in with that chapter's theme. I loved the "7 Habits" book and the principles it taught. As a result, I finally agreed to a previous request by my dear hubs to create a family mission statement. We created the statement and a family symbol which proudly hangs in our kitchen by the table. Each Monday for family home evening, we start by reciting our statement and basically have it memorized. Even the girls have it down, complete with actions.

Part of agreeing to the mission statement, other than reciting it each week, is "signing" the document with our handprint each January. It's the beginning of a new year filled with new commitments and re-committing to old ones. My children love it! This year, Spencer got to put his chubby little hand in paint to add to our collection.

I love how the meaning has changed as my little family has grown in both age and size. I love the enthusiasm with which the girls repeat the small words and trip over the larger ones. I love how my husband can create family home evening lessons off the values to which we aspire and how those values and help guide what we do as a family unit.


No comments: