Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Little Man

This guy came into the world one year ago on May 19th - and he has completely stolen our hearts with his smile, his belly laugh, and constant antics.

While I labored over 20 hours with Mallorie, Spencer came into the world one week late and didn't waste much time making an appearance once contractions started. At 3 pm on the 18th, I saw my OB-GYN and learned that there was no evidence of imminent labor. We made plans to have me return to the clinic 5 days later for a recheck. By 7 pm, I was having hard contractions and Chadwick called his mom frantically at 9:15 to come to the house.

You know how in the movies, the man frantically runs around the house, packing his bag and the last minute stuff to take to the hospital while his wife groans and hollers for him to hurry before the baby comes? Yeah, that was us. I was, literally, on the floor trying to cope with ever-strengthening contractions while Chadwick ran around the house, throwing things into a bag for himself, into a bag for the girls, and some last minute things for me. By the time I got checked into the hospital (why do they make laboring women sign consent forms and fill out paperwork?? I could barely remember my name), the nurses took the time to obtain my weight (like I hadn't been at the doctor that afternoon), and check to see if I was dilated. I was at a 9, and suddenly I was the main show in this circus.

I hired a doula named Mariah to help with the process and it was an awesome decision. The nursing staff were great and my favorite memory in the two-hour-long pushing session that ensued was of the resident OB leaning over the bed, getting into my face, and giving me a pep talk. I remember thinking, "open your eyes, Julie. Someone is getting stern with you and it's time to pay attention."

Spencer arrived at 1 am hollering like a good boy. It took the better part of two days to choose a middle name for him; we wanted a family name that had some meaning to it and whose legacy we could tell to our son. Quincy was the middle name of my paternal grandfather, whom I called Abuelo, and he was an amazing man.

The transformation from newborn "blob" to a walking, babbling, laughing little person never ceases to amaze me. He is our Number 3, The Bubbas, the Little Man. He loves to eat, growls when he sees the cat, doesn't stick with one activity for more than 5 seconds, crawls like Spot from "The Good Dinosaur," and adores his big sisters.

At the hospital

May

August
 
First Christmas
April

Birthday - I had to put the candle far away so he didn't try to eat it!
 We love you Bubbas!

No comments: