Thursday, September 29, 2016

This and That

I don't quite understand where the weeks go....until I look at my planner and realize I've been busy! Canning season has about come to an end and I have mixed feelings about that. I'm looking forward to having my kitchen tile professionally cleaned (I'm not sure the near-constant "stick" from our efforts will ever come out) yet that also means the end of the warmer weather. 

I have to admit that my hubs has been doing most of the canning/freezing: corn in the freezer, canned green beans, grape juice, canned apricots, canned peaches, and raisins. The one thing I love to make for whatever reason is applesauce. Maybe it's because I've actually done it a time or two with my mother-in-law and feel comfortable tackling the project or maybe it's because applesauce happens to be one of my favorite foods. Either way, I devoted large parts of two days preserving the apples from our two trees and it was totally worth every minute. As I was working with Mallorie, I found myself thinking that this was a skill I could pass along to my children, these are memories worth making every season, and I enjoyed the outcome. I also thought that I couldn't wait to do this with my mom, should she ever make it to town at this time of year.

This is the most delightful pink color I have ever beheld in a jar! I don't know how many quarts of grape juice we have on our shelves....I just know it will be hard to ration until next year as it is a family favorite. Our applesauce is also quite pink, now that I think about it.


Most recently in his spare time, Chadwick has been building a barn. For many months, people look out our window toward the back of the property and ask, "What are those poles?" We smile and answer that they are the start to our barn. Which has been stuck in "pole" phase since about May. Now, those same individuals can look out the window and exclaim, "Nice barn!" We're planning a barn raising party in a couple of weeks as there have been several men who have offered to help. I'm totally taking them up on this offer as the days are starting to get shorter. I certainly have no plans to be out there drilling and hammering in my spare time as I am clueless to the process Chadwick has started. 

While Chadwick is hammering, I have been painting. The same little spot. over and over. Five different colors, to be exact. Since the den has been finished, we have wanted to add a bit of an accent color above the fireplace. The small paint swatches from Home Depot don't do a color justice so I picked two that I liked, purchased sample jars, and tossed some paint on the wall. Nope, didn't like those colors. 
Covered the area over with grey primer. Applied two more colors. Liked one of them. Covered the area carefully with grey primer and will purchase the final, official paint tomorrow. We chose the one on the right. 
I love how our house is coming together, both inside and out. I love the chance it provides us to utilize what's grown in our yard, to teach our children about work and watch them run and play. I've been thinking recently about our blessings and how grateful I am for the little things in my life - a marriage between two people dedicated to working hard daily to love the other, healthy children, extra food in our pantry and fridge, and a safe neighborhood. I don't want to get caught taking these things for granted and am glad for the reminders to take a moment and really see the wealth surrounding me. Life ain't perfect, but it is good!

No comments: