I love how this time of year brings out the better humanity as a whole - there is more giving, more gratitude, and more tolerance of one another. It's a time to take a few moments and remember what we have been given, from where our blessings come, and a time to think outside ourselves for a season.
Each November, Chadwick creates a wonderful "thankful tree" from which we hang leaves expressing things we are thankful for each day. The trunk and limbs are in themselves a work of art and by the end of the month we have a blooming tree of gratitude. I love to see what the children are thankful for each day. This year, he created a "thankful branch," mostly because a full tree wouldn't last more than 15 minutes (20 tops) before Spencer started re-arranging all of the pieces.
We had the opportunity to host Thanksgiving day at our house - Nancy and Steve and James with his family joined for the fun. That morning, we slept in, watched the Macy's parade on television while prepping the food and house for the big meal. I started quite a few things the day before and, overall, Thursday went quite smoothly. We always have enough food for twice the number of people in attendance and never enough room in our stomach to eat as much as our eyes desire. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, green salad, olives, carrots, pickles, cranberry sauce, stuffing, Nana Manwaring's cranberry salad, and squash. I have been on the search for the perfect dinner roll....this year I found the recipe. It was one that I received about 6 years ago from a friend, but I was intimidated by the looks of the card. My culinary skills must be improving as I no longer shook in fright when glancing through the "how to" section of the recipe. They were worth the wait. Pie and ice cream were at Aunt Sheila's new house in Meridian with several other Fife family members.
I love how Chadwick's family pitches in to create the meal. How we help each other clean up. The interest we show in each other's lives and accomplishments. Watching the cousins play with one another. Observing Spencer run happily between Chadwick, James, and Gideon, trying to catch and throw a football as big as his head. Seeing Jordynn and Mallorie sitting next to one another on the couch drawing quietly. The warm feeling that comes from having loved ones and food in the house at the same time.
There is much for which to be thankful.
Saturday, November 26, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment