Every few years, I get the urge to change up my look. I had a super short haircut in Spain that I loved and have never been able to replicate. Until now.
Twelve inches of my brown locks were braided and cut to be sent to Locks of Love - a company that specializes in making wigs for children under 21 years of age. They also sell some of the received hair to help offset costs for the company (though I'm not sure who buys said hair) and I love the thought that my hair can boost the confidence of a young person. In addition, I have several aunts who have gone through chemo and worn wigs during their recovery phase. Just seemed fitting.
My hairstylist is a stay-at-home mom with her salon in the washroom of the home. Like most stylists, her hair is rarely the same each time I see her and she knows her stuff. She turned my brown, straight hair into an A-line, highlighted bob that brings out a sassy appearance. And I love it!
My girls were totally impressed with the changed appearance of my face with the new haircut, Spencer spent a few minutes carefully studying my features to see if anything else had changed, and one older man at church jokingly introduced himself to "this new member of the ward." Chadwick had a brother or two tease him about the new woman with whom he was sitting during sacrament meeting. "It's my mistress," replied my hubs with a grin. Dr. Bingham, veterinarian owner of Chadwick's clinic, actually used the word sassy in his description of my hair which I thought was fantastic. I don't always love being the center of attention, but I have to admit liking the positive comments about my new 'do.
I kind of feel like the haircut is just part of the changes that I've strived to make since the beginning of this year: a focus on physical health (joining the gym, hiring a trainer, working to clean up my eating, seeing a physical therapist for my shoulder issues), mental health (the one-word challenge, finding a balance for work and life and kids), and just learning to be okay in the skin in which I live.
On a side note, my brother, David, sent a selfie after his wife recently cut his hair. In his words, "it basically looks like the hair slid off my head onto my face." I had to laugh with his word choice, mostly because....he's right!
No comments:
Post a Comment