Thursday, June 1, 2017

Motherhood

"The most important work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home."
~President Harold B. Lee
President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

And sometimes, the walls within our home are full of enough chaos to prevent me from writing about the other things that fill our home - laughter, love, service, tears, movies, messes, and remodeling.

Mother's Day is one of my favorite holidays. Not because I'm a mother, though that is becoming a perk now that my children are old enough to create wonderful pictures and presents, but because I get to celebrate the moms in my life.

My own mother. Loving, kind, supportive, and maddeningly always right during my teenage years. I never remember her yelling in anger - she yelled only when David did something to startle the daylights out of her - she made our lunches faithfully each day before school, she remembers birthdays, test dates, holidays, and sends little messages just to say hi. She's the kind of friend you have in your life, and I'm grateful for her influence.

My mother-in-law. A wonderful example of service for others, Nancy works hard to keep her large family fed, read to, and loved. I'm thankful for the time I've had to get to know her and for her positive influence in the life of my family. I miss her now that's she's in Texas serving the missionaries!

Danna, mother to my best friend in college. She happily adopted me during my years in Pullman - taking me out for dinner during their trips to town, inviting me into their home, attending my wedding and veterinary school graduation. We have kept in touch throughout the years and it's a nice feeling to know that she is there should I ever need her assistance.

My friends. I am blessed with the most amazing group of women in my life! Some are near and others far, but they each have influenced how I parent my children.

Motherhood is the hardest thing I've experienced. There are ups and downs, giggles and tantrums, and mountains of learning opportunities. Sometimes all within one hour! I'm learning patience, how to speak kindly and control my temper. I'm learning how much I can love another human. I'm learning about the joy that comes when a child speaks a new word or accomplishes a hard task. I'm learning to delegate household duties and to let go of doing it all myself. I'm learning to find joy in the little moments of my day. And I'm learning that while I'm probably never going to be perfect at this motherhood thing, I can grow and change.

My own Mother's Day started with a delightful breakfast - homemade (from scratch, might I add) English muffins with hollandaise sauce, eggs, and pork leftover from the matanza we attended the night before at the Taylor's house. When handed his plate, Spencer squealed, "Ooh! Pupcake?"

Both girls got up early, showered, and helped with breakfast. It was one of the smoothest mornings before church in a long time. The afternoon was calm, dinner was steak and potatoes, and my sweet daughters presented the gifts they diligently worked on all week.

Mallorie painted a picture and decorated this silly rock at preschool that makes me smile when I see it sitting on the desk. It has crazy green hair as my favorite color is green. I love her attention to detail.

Morgan spent hours cutting out and writing on flower petals that she tacked to the top of a pencil. Each petal has a little note or a word. She created a plane with a flying banner that reads, "It's PLANE to see that you're great." She's becoming quite the little writer.
 
Not sure it was exactly a gift for Mother's Day, but Chadwick moved the side fence that separates the front from the back yard. I've wanted it moved forward for a while, resulting in an enlarged side yard. And it's awesome! He finished the project and told me that my fence was done. My fence. That man spoils me sometimes!

Motherhood is a divine calling and one I'm happy to try to magnify each day. It's quite the ride!

No comments: