Sunday, October 8, 2017

The Adams Family Reunion

It feels like a year of reunions for us. The one in Utah with the vet school family. One in Donnelley over Labor Day. An upcoming Graham-Adams reunion at the end of this month. 

It's been longer than any of us could remember since the last Adams family reunion. Colorado, we thought, shortly after the Addams Family movie came out. I vividly remember getting shirts from the movie and wearing them in a group photo, sitting next to a fence with a couple of horses nearby. Groups of us have gathered at weddings and funerals...my Uncle Ben and Aunt Diane coordinated the process and found a beautiful cabin in Donnelley. 

For the purpose of keeping the family tree organized, my dad (John) is the youngest of four siblings. His sister, Tia Virginia, is the oldest, followed by Walter, Ben, and my dad. The four of them plus most of their significant others were present - Walter's wife hasn't been in great health and stayed home in Connecticut. Tia and Doug arrived in Boise two days early with the intent of spending some time with us before heading to the cabin and I'm so glad they did! My kids took to them immediately and Spencer began dragging Doug around by the finger, asking him to "follow me." Chug, as he came to be known, spent most of the trip laughing at the antics of my youngest. I also felt like I was able to re-connect with one of my favorite relatives, Tia, which was a highlight of the reunion. 
Of the cousins, only my brother David and 'sister' Colleen weren't able to come. Though older, most of the cousins reminded me of their younger selves, especially Cayla, who is my senior by 3 years. Her facial expressions, actions, and manner of speaking were just as I remembered from our youth. Her daughter Fiona is a chip off her mother's block. Ted and Charlie were as calm, quiet-spoken, and funny as remembered. I enjoyed the time with Charlie's girlfriend and Cayla's husband and all of the children that came with these couples.
It's such a different feel to gather as adults with my aunts and uncles. For example, later one evening after the kiddos had gone to bed, Uncle Walter informed me with a goofy smile and laugh that he was drunk. Did they do that when I was a kid? Is this what adults do when their children go to bed? Apparently, and we did a lot of laughing that evening. 

The last morning of our visit, the five of us were piled in queen bed in the room we shared, having a moment together, when Morgan looked at me and announced that she didn't think anyone else in the cabin went to church. Knowing full well what she meant, I mentioned that Ben and Diane went to church regularly. "No, Mom, I don't think anyone else goes to the Latter Day Saint church." She was right on that account, and before I could ask what spurred her hypothesis, she got distracted. I found out much later from my dad that she asked my Aunt Diane if she belong to the LDS church. Diane's reply - "Nope, I'm a Methodist." Morgan soaked up the response, glanced at the wine glass in Diane's hand, said, "Oh, okay!" and walked off. No judgement, no lecture about the Word of Wisdom. Just an observation. She doesn't miss much, this Morgan Magoo. 

Puzzle making, laughing, canoeing, hiking, soccer table, sailing, and decorating t-shirts were on the agenda. We spent the time catching up on life and getting to know one another again. Ted left mid-weekend to head to Washington as part of a fire crew. We celebrated Mallorie's birthday. I learned what it meant to go to the bathroom in the "Big potty" (aka outside).
And we laughed and talked some more. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I hope we don't wait 10+ years for the next gathering. The Adams crew are quirky, good people I'm happy to call family.

No comments: