Sunday, September 16, 2018

2018-2019

We have a third grader.
We have a kindergartner.
We have a preschooler.

And the constant feline supervisor.
Both girls were ecstatic to start school at the beginning of August. Mallorie was almost more excited to ride the bus with her sister I think, than actually attending school....almost. She put herself to bed early Sunday night to make sure she got enough sleep. And I asked her to stay IN her bed until I woke her up as I had visions of her coming into my room at 5:30 ready to go for the day. While adjusting well, Mallorie is also tired! Several afternoons a week she will put herself to bed for a much needed nap. She likes her teacher, is making friends on the playground and bus, and is adjusting well overall.

Morgan is thriving in third grade. She came home with an academic planner that we are parents are to sign each evening. It has notes about upcoming events, their spelling words for the week, etc. The organizer in her was so thrilled! New this year was testing into the gifted/talented program. One day a week, she meets with the GT teachers with other third graders from several schools. Right now, they are finishing up a segment on Picasso and use of colors. They put together a PowerPoint presentation for their classmates and are working on learning the basics of Excel. She's going to be teaching me things in those programs pretty soon!

Poor Spencer has struggled with the new schedule. His constant playmate, Mallorie, is gone in the mornings. He got a head cold, which always makes him edgy. And he's three, which I think causes the rest of the tantrums/attitude/tears that I see on a regular basis. He cried when I left him at preschool the first morning! After the first 30 minutes of sadness, the teacher said he did great and Day 2 was much improved (perhaps because I wasn't the one dropping him off?). He and I have yet to find a good groove, but we are trying.

Reading books, PTA, music class, enjoying the cooler days of late summer. Life is good!

No comments: