Thursday, June 2, 2016

Pollywogs!

After spending several hours down the street with their favorite babysitter, my girls returned home, triumphant - they had managed to net a total of 12 pollywogs from the pond! They were gloating and so excited. I found two glass flower vases and made that the new home for our "pets."

What does one feed a pollywog?? I had no idea, and neither did Chadwick. The girls took plastic cups and caught ants, which they deposited into the vases and watched as the pollywogs ignored the ants and the ants eventually drowned. I went to Walmart and picked up some floating pellets designed for aquatic turtles, newts, and frogs. I don't think any of the pellets have been consumed, but it makes me feel better to know that I am trying not to let the little guys starve.

Some of our pollywogs have legs, others are still very much in the fishy-looking stage. Our plan is to let them morph into frogs and then return them to an outdoor habitat. This may have to become an annual tradition!
One of the bigger ones

Yup, baking pan-turned-aquarium

No comments: