Walking up to the second floor at Coman Hall in Pullman was a scary and exciting event - freshman year of college at Washington State University, 1200 miles from home, and I didn't know a soul other than my father. I was greeted by loud music and a huge smile from my neighbor, a blue-eyed blond from a small town in the center of the state who would quickly become my best friend. Her parents adopted me from a distance - I was treated to dinner at Wendy's one Dad's Weekend, they had both of us pulling weeds in their driveway the first time I visited, and all attended my veterinary college graduation as well as my wedding.

Danna and Steve celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and I was honored to receive an invitation to their celebration. My mom jumped at the chance for a roadtrip - she flew into town Friday morning, said hello and goodbye to my children, and we jumped into the rental car for a husband-free-child-free weekend. We stayed in Pullman the first night. I haven't been back since graduation and it felt good to take in the sights that were once so familiar. The town has changed - the Beach in Moscow is no longer, the Palouse Empire Mall is larger, and Walmart now occupies a large area of land above Safeway. Yet so much about the area hasn't changed - the beautiful brick of the campus, the summer students walking around campus, the visible pride in being a WSU Coug, and the sight of wheat growing in the quiet summer evening. We took a stroll around campus and ate at Sella's (which hasn't changed at all, from the decor on the wall to the size and delicious-ness of the bread twist).
Saturday morning we ate at the best breakfast place ever: The Old European. I'm not sure when I discovered the place, but we ate there anytime someone came to town and anytime I had some extra a cash in my pocket. They are famous for their fresh squeezed orange juice, homemade Scandinavian food, and the friendly faces. The decor hadn't changed a bit and I finalized my transport right back into college days. An omelet and three doughy ableskievers later, we were on our way to the Crimson and Grey store where I had to buy an auto decal for the Pilot (which was seriously lacking in Coug representation).
The celebration was great - good food, some familiar faces, and all there to support this wonderful couple whom have meant so much to me over the years. It really hit hard that I felt nothing but honored to be a part of this wonderful little family and was grateful that the ties of friendship have been maintained despite the miles between us.
 |
| I might have been squishing Dessa a bit... |
This trip also reminded me how much I value my own mom. There was rarely a moment when we weren't talking, laughing, or singing the entire weekend together. The miles flew by as we reminisced, talked about parenting, family, and planning for the future. I cherish the bond we share and pray that I can forge such an amazing bond with my own daughters.
Sunday night found us back in Boise with my family and we said goodbye to mom as we headed out to swimming lessons Monday afternoon. Unfortunately, her trip home wasn't so smooth - a delayed departure meant a missed connection, so the airlines routed her through Chicago and she got home at midnight. Oops!
It was worth it.
 |
| Standing on top of the library |
 |
| Bryan Hall clock tower - the face glows red in the dark |
 |
| Steps of Bustad - my home during the first three years of vet school |
 |
| Loving the view through the windshield |
No comments:
Post a Comment