Friday, July 15, 2016

Waves of Emotion

At this time last year, we had already buried my Bop-bop and were in the process of moving Nana into an assisted living apartment. It was one of the more gut-wrenching times of my life thus far. Since her death last November, the burden of grief has gradually lifted off my shoulders. 

Yet random moments in life will rekindle the sadness of their passing, bringing tears unexpectedly to my eyes and a tightness in my chest. Normally, those moments are while running errands - seeing an older couple with one helping the other through the grocery store, an older gentleman walking purposefully through the mall, or clients at work bringing in a beloved pet. 

Today, I had the privilege of meeting a sweet woman. She had to be in her late eighties, was wheel chair bound, and wore a key chain bracelet common in individuals living in assisted care. With her was an ancient Burmese cat with the most beautiful chocolate brown coat, bright eyes, and a head posture fit for the Queen of England. It was time to say goodbye to her feline companion, who had taken a dramatic turn for the worse with the passing of this woman's husband several days ago. She told me that when her husband got sick, the cat spent hours with him on the bed and the only time she was away from him was while he was in the hospital. The dedicated little animal was with him when he passed. 

Though her grief was palpable, this strong woman shed no tears throughout the process or while speaking of her deceased husband of 68.5 years. My heart broke for her losses. And I had to work hard to remove the sadness that clenched my heart as I was reminded of my grandparents, who had been married over 60 years. 

Grief is a funny thing I've decided. And maybe its effects are never truly washed away from our being. All I can do is take a moment to remember them, say a prayer of thanks for the time we had together, and push on. 

2 comments:

Steve and Nancy said...

Dear Julie,
Thank you for letting me read your blog. I'M so glad you are blogging again. You are a wonderful, tbougbtful writer. I have been moved by each of your posts. I feel so fortunate to have you in my life. Thank you for your patience with my weaknesses, and for your example of faithful and positive living. You always brighten my day. I love you ! Nancy

Steve and Nancy said...

Dear Julie,
Thank you for letting me read your blog. I'M so glad you are blogging again. You are a wonderful, tbougbtful writer. I have been moved by each of your posts. I feel so fortunate to have you in my life. Thank you for your patience with my weaknesses, and for your example of faithful and positive living. You always brighten my day. I love you ! Nancy