The snow first fell in the Treasure Valley the weekend I left for San Diego mid-December. They received four beautiful inches and turned our world into a winter wonderland. Who was to know that the snow would continue to fall, the temperatures drop, and our daily lives put on hold for more days than we cared to count??
I don't know if we have had record snowfall, but no one I know can remember so much snow falling at one time as it did the evening of January 4th of this new year. Temperatures were still in the high teens or low twenties - it hadn't gone above freezing since the first snow, which made for a lovely white Christmas - and Morgan had one day of school under her snow boots after Christmas break.
Wednesday was a snow day. We love the first snow day! As put by a friend, one snow day is a day of fun and wonder. We had lunch and played at the Taylors, enjoyed one more day off and prepared to return to normal Thursday morning. Or not. The grey clouds dumped a good 8" of snow on us Thursday and the madness continued into Friday with below zero temperatures. School was promptly cancelled Thursday and Friday.
And Monday. And again on Tuesday. Like living in the movie Groundhog Day, we prepared the evening before as if it would be normal, woke up with the alarm, checked the text message stating that West Ada school districts are closed yet again, and went back to sleep. FIVE DAYS!
In addition to the disruption of classes and life in the city in general, the Area Authorities for the Church shut down Sunday services - the forecast predicted snow, freezing rain, and possible power outages. We were encouraged to check on our neighbors, stock up the necessities, and hunker down for the storm. Luckily, the storm never materialized to the predicted extent and we spent Sunday morning enjoying breakfast as a family, took a snowy walk along the canal, and relaxed in the afternoon. The Taylors braved the rain and joined us for chicken pot pie that evening.
Chadwick, Morgan, and Mallorie were able to sleep in the igloo in the front yard. I bet Chadwick the girls would last maybe 3 hours (and I left the lamp on in the living room for when they returned). They stayed out the whole night and came back with a great memory! As well as a new love for the card game, War. Unfortunately, Darwin did not fare so well as he saw his beloved Chadwick leave, stay in the front yard without him, and not come back. He paced until about 1:30 am when I finally shut the bedroom door. With a loud sigh, he gave up on Chadwick's return and settled down the rest of the night.
I'm grateful that the power never went out, for the abundance of food in our cabinets, and the coziness provided by the fireplace in our den. I'm grateful for snow shovels and for my health which allows me to get out and move the snow when needed. I'm grateful that my children, while suffering from a mild case of cabin fever, did not melt down with the repeated unpredictability and hours inside. My house has not turned into a war zone, I've made it to the gym a few times, and we had a great outing yesterday afternoon with Grandma Nancy, Jordynn, and Gideon at Planet Kid. It could have been much, much worse. Many of the residents of Boise have had it quite bad - not being able to leave their apartment parking lots, slipping and sliding on the road, unable to leave their subdivisions.
It's been a storm worth reporting and one we will remember for years. Fingers crossed we can dry out for a while and not have too much flooding. Where is all the water to go?
No comments:
Post a Comment