A newsletter in my Inbox from Gifted Leaders challenged its readers to try something new for this year - ditch the resolutions. Instead, concentrate on finding one word to be the intentional focus for 2017.
One word. The idea resonated with me almost immediately and I set out to find my word - a word that has meaning, that correlates with the resolutions I wrote down in my planner, and that would be easy to remember.
follow-though
I find that I often have a hard time finishing a project. I'll get started on something and either forget to follow-though to the end, get side-tracked in the middle, or take off more than I can chew. These projects aren't necessarily big like making cabinets or painting the bathroom. It's more often like taking the trash all the way to the trash can, placing a new liner in the wastebasket, carting the dishrag to the hamper instead of leaving it on the floor where it got chucked in the middle of dinner prep. Mailing the card I want to send within a few days from purchase. Reading the article that sounds interesting. Getting out of bed when my alarm goes off. And the list continues.
The words "follow-though" were perfect - in order to meet the goals I set for myself this year, follow-through is mandatory. By following-through with my commitment and plans, I increase the trust in myself and believe that when I say I will do something, it will be done. I increase the level of trust others have in me as I become a woman of my word. My self-confidence will increase by completing the mundane tasks of my day, or at least feel good at bedtime knowing that what I did accomplish was done fully. (I also don't have to watch my hubs walk through the house putting the finishing touches on tasks I started earlier in the day; I have a hard time when he does that.)
I typed up the words and put them on the desk in the kitchen as a daily reminder. This year will be a year of completing goals, of personal growth, and reaching out to others. What else can I learn by following-through?
No comments:
Post a Comment