Wednesday, April 12, 2017

A Two Year Call

We as Christians are asked to sacrifice ourselves, our time, and our talents for the Lord to benefit those with whom we associate. Such sacrifices also provide great benefits to each of us personally and extend to our family members in the process. In the LDS church, serving a full time mission is one way that members give of their time and talents. Young single adults as well as senior couples have the opportunity to serve the Lord and their fellow men - the youth for 18-24 months and the couples for anywhere from 12-24 months. A period of time is spent in the missionary training center, or MTC, prior to entering the mission field to learn how to teach the gospel, learn a new language if necessary, and start the process of immersing oneself in the gospel and to let go of the world for a while. Rules for the senior couples are not quite a strict as for the youth (understandably), so we are able to call or text, Skype, visit when able, and receive visits when necessary. For example, Nancy is adamant that she will be in Boise when her son graduates from pharmacy school next summer. I love that they have the flexibility to care for their families as necessary and to be a bit closer in touch with the world while still serving their mission.

Our Elder and Sister Hunt, as they will be called for the next 24 months, checked into the MTC in Provo a few days ago after months of planning, preparation, packing, and last minute scrambling. When I asked Nancy how the first day went, she responded, "The MTC is amazing. Everywhere you look there is a picture of Christ or one of the prophets. We have been taught over and over again, today, that our purpose as a missionary, regardless of our individual assignment, is to invite people to come unto Christ and be relieved of the burden of sin. We do that by loving them as Christ loves us. We are staying in a nice little apartment, the food is good, and we have met many nice people."
I admire their courage to take a break from life to serve a mission. It hasn't been an easy road to prepare to leave and I'm guessing that the hardship will continue for several months. As one of my sister-in-law's pointed out, two years is a long time to be away from grandchildren. I am grateful for the technology that allows us to Skype, email, text, and call our loved ones to keep those important relationships strong.

Last week, I had the chance to assist them with some packing, cleaning, and disposing of items. I'm so grateful for the time to serve them and I don't think it's really sunk in that they are gone. For two years. I have grown used to being in their presence almost weekly and receive comfort in knowing that they are around. I love that I can say without hesitation, "I will miss my mother- and father-in-law!" Not everyone is blessed to have a good relationship with the parents of their spouse.

Nancy and Steve gave their "farewell" in sacrament meeting in the middle of March. The farewell is basically the last talk they will give and is often one of the last Sundays attending meetings before their mission begins. And then, naturally, there is the "homecoming" talk as well. Nathan and Beth drove from Colorado with their kids for the farewell weekend and we had the pleasure of hosting several of them in our home. I haven't spent much time one-on-one with Beth and it was so fun to chat with her, to listen, and learn. She is a strong woman with lots of depth and we had a good time. The cousins also enjoyed the time together, working on the Hunt's property and playing and talking.
I was not prepared for the flood of emotions that washed over me during their talks. I was reminded again of the spiritual strength of these wonderful people. They are providing an amazing example to their posterity!

Dinner was hosted by Nancy and Steve that evening. Spencer found the cars, the youth found the pool table, and the others spent time running, reading books, and getting out energy. Andrew and Brynn spent time re-creating old pictures anew. Love it!
Saturday before their departure, Chadwick and I hosted a dinner for the family at our place....and completely maxed out our house. I'm pretty sure maximum occupancy is somewhere between 16-18. We managed to fit 24 people of all ages and sizes into the kitchen and den for dinner and dessert. Add two wandering dogs and a cat hiding in the laundry room and it was a full house!! I wouldn't have traded that opportunity but it was a little crazy. Luckily, the weather cooperated and the kids spent a lot of time outside. We had the adult tables, the teen table, and the young ones table with a few mixes here and there. I love watching and listening to the chaos. There were tables and chairs everywhere!

Needless to say, these grandparents will be missed. I have faith that we will be blessed for their desire to serve and look forward to learning about their experiences as we are able.
Adios, Hermano y Hermana Hunt!

No comments: